New Mothers - Maternity Benefit
“You won’t receive a maternity benefit if you’re out of the island unless you left for medical treatment”
How do I qualify for Maternity Benefit?
If you’re employed, to qualify you must have:
– been insured for at least 26 contribution weeks
– paid at least 16 contributions in the two contribution quarters but one before the contribution quarter in which
the benefit could become payable
If you’re self-employed to qualify you:
– must have no fewer than 39 contributions paid or credited to your account in the four consecutive quarters
ending with the quarter but one before the contribution quarter in which benefit could become payable
– must have paid at least 16 contributions in the two contribution quarters but one before the contribution quarter
in which the benefit could become payable
What’s the rate of maternity benefit?
The daily rate is 100% of your average insurable weekly earnings, divided by 6.
Suppose I’m unable to work after the end of my maternity leave?
If you can’t work because of delivery complications, sickness benefit can be paid, once you are eligible, from the
day that your maternity benefit was payable.
If I go overseas will I receive maternity benefit?
No, you will not receive maternity benefit if you’re out of the island unless you leave for medical attention which was referred by your doctor.
Suppose I don’t qualify for Maternity Benefit?
Then you may be eligible for a maternity grant.
How can I qualify for a maternity grant?
To receive a maternity grant:
– you must be insured but not able to meet the contribution requirements for maternity benefit
– your spouse must have been insured and have paid the required number of contributions that would have
enabled you to qualify if you had paid them yourself
So I have to be married to receive the maternity grant?
No. In this case “spouse” includes any single man whom you, if you’re single, have been living with for 2 years or
more. Single, in this case, also refers to widows and widowers who have not remarried.
How much maternity grant will I receive?
You’ll be able to claim $1,240.00 if you went through a period of confinement